Got depresh? Chronic, low grade depresh? Look no further.
Any of these could be a chapter in a book. So don’t mistake the simplicity here for limited meaning or impact.
Here are 6 wildly effective ways to slip through that perpetual, mild depression. Experiment with them, and be playful… which leads us to the first one:
- Be goofy. Ridiculous. Make simple jokes that are borderline unfunny. Act a little absurd and silly. Dance in your living room like you have an audience who adores your joke-dance. Pro: Works really well in dealing with depression. Con: May be embarrassing to teenagers.
- Do-make creative. Write a song. Bake. Paint a wild splotchy Jackson Pollock type thing. Take a walk in order to photograph every interesting flower and leaf.
- A 2-parter: move your body, especially outside, even if only to the porch, or the street, or the end of the driveway.
- A 3-parter: Go outside, move your body, and talk to a friend or sing to yourself. That’s right: get up. Walk across the room. Go outside and move your body even if only walking to the car and back. And super special bonus points for singing out loud to yourself or or phoning up and talking to someone you are close to.
- Express yourself. Dress up fancy or wild. Unleash your personality. Make a zany video (not required to post it!)
- Swim in ice cold water or some other extreme adventurous thing. Go intense. Have a mini adventure. Go for a drive somewhere new, especially if you crank the music and sing along. When you come home, treat yourself like a freaking hero. You are Odysseus. Well done. Amazing.
Magic number 7: work at it every day. Little things and in little ways. Your best friend is the ability to do mini effective things to pierce your chronic yucky blechy blahs.